Saturday, May 12, 2018

Mixtape: Best Cover Versions Vol. 2

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I posted on this site, and it's been even longer since I did an official Mixtape! I haven't done a Mixtape in five and a half years, crazy! Anyway, in case you're not sure what a Mixtape is, here's an explanation...

A Mixtape is a playlist of a certain genre, band or era. The list is generally 80 minutes long, the same length of a blank CD, with further recommendations if some of the songs aren't to your taste. Remember kids, downloading is wrong! 

Back in 2011 I did a Mixtape of my favourite cover versions, and, looking back on it, it's a very good list and I agree with most of my suggestions on the list. But, in the past 7 years there have been some belters that have come out, and, also, looking back on the list from 2011, I did miss out on some amazing cover versions. So I decided to do a Volume 2 of my favourite cover versions! Now, this list is probably just as good as Volume 1 so check them both out if you get time - to find the first list simply click here.

Before I begin I'd just like to rule out artists that do cover versions predominantly as an artist, like Weird Al Yankovic, who does parodies of songs, and Richard Cheese, who does amazing jazz versions of songs. If you've never heard the work of Richard Cheese, seriously, give the guy a listen, he's absolutely phenomenal and funny, let this song get you started. One more thing, linked below are the songs and if you click on the original artists (which are bracketed) you can listen to the originals, if I can find them. Anyway, onto the Mixtape!
  1. Band on the Run - Foo Fighters (Paul McCartney and Wings)
  2. My Girl - Jesus and Mary Chain (The Temptations)
  3. Those Were the Days - Mary Hopkin (Tamara Tsereteli)
  4. Hurt - Johnny Cash (Nine Inch Nails)
  5. Danger Zone - Psychostick (Kenny Loggins)
  6. Jack the Ripper - The Horrors (Screaming Lord Sutch)
  7. Rawhide - The Meteors (Frankie Laine)
  8. I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - Toy Dolls (The Proclaimers)
  9. How I Could Just Kill a Man - Rage Against the Machine (Cypress Hill)
  10. Rise of the Eagles - The Prodigy (The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster)
  11. Memorabilia - Nine Inch Nails (Soft Cell)
  12. Black Betty - Spiderbait (Ram Jam)
  13. The Sound of Silence - Disturbed (Simon and Garfunkel)
  14. Thieves - Limp Bizkit (Ministry)
  15. Five to One - Marilyn Manson (The Doors)
  16. United Forces - Ministry (Stormtroopers of Death)
  17. Rise - Jerk (Public Image Limited)
  18. Loverman - Metallica (Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds)
Some of these not to your taste? Here's five alternatives...
  1. Zombie - Breed 77 (The Cranberries)
  2. Kidnap the Sandy Claws - KoRn (Danny Elfman)
  3. Love Buzz - Nirvana (Shocking Blue)
  4. Golden Ticket - Primus (Jack Albertson and Peter Ostrum)
  5. Baby, I Love You - Ramones (The Ronettes)
To listen to the playlist on YouTube click here!

Well I hope you enjoyed this list. I tried to pick different songs that people may not have heard, or have considered before. Who knows, I might make Vol. 3 in another seven years time! Until next time, take care.


For the latest updates on my work, follow me on Facebook and Twitter here!

No comments:

Post a Comment