Thursday, November 24, 2016

My Top 100 Favourite Songs 2010-14 Edition: #20

#20. "Something From Nothing” – Foo Fighters
Released: 16/10/14
Album: Sonic Highways
 
You know certain songs bring you back to certain parts of your life? Well “Something From Nothing” sticks with me a lot from a personal perspective because of what happened, well, a good 12 months ago now. Last year I got diagnosed with diabetes, cut a long story short I’ve since lost three and a half stone and got myself in better shape – I actually ran a half marathon a month ago which is crazy considering I hated exercise before. Well a year ago or so I started going to the gym and there’s a jukebox that has a playlist. Most people that went the gym played dance and pop but not me of course. I used to play this a lot, and still do.
 
The song is so good to play in the gym because the build up is so strong. The beginning is so quiet and the way it builds up to “FUCK IT ALL I CAME FROM NOTHING” is immense. It really gave me the energy I needed to dig in deep on that treadmill and last a longer distance at a faster pace each time, sweating like crazy. Music is an amazing thing and it does stuff to you that you wouldn’t expect. I love this song because it’s a great song on a mediocre album, but I also am so thankful for this song for helping me through, in my eyes, a very dark period of my life.
 
Here's the video if you want to hear it!

If you missed #21 go here.

For the latest updates on my work, including all my latest radio shows, follow me on Facebook and Twitter here!

No comments:

Post a Comment