Tuesday, February 16, 2016

My Top 100 Favourite Songs 2010-14 Edition: #94

#94. “She's Not Gone Yet But She's Leaving" – The Fratellis
Released: 3/2/14
Album: We Need Medicine

I might be coming across as quite pessimistic in these early posts, what with a lot of them being bands that I used to be very fond of but have, in my opinion, made less good efforts in recent times but that's just me being honest. The Fratellis too are another band that I absolutely loved. Their first two albums are among some of my favourites from the last decade. But their last two efforts were just simply disappointing. I actually saw The Fratellis live during this "We Need Medicine" tour and they were simply "okay". I just feel like they've lost their initial spark since the release of "Costello Music", their debut album. I was a big supporter of the band, a band who were considered to be, and now are pretty much definitely labelled as a one hit wonder band. The "Chelsea Dagger" band. It sucks. They didn't deserve that title - people really need to listen to their first two albums to really appreciate how damn good they were.

Anyway, tangent aside, this song is half way there towards being as good as the band used to be. It mixes their cheeky lyrics about women but still have the more downbeat and mature style that they're more accustomed to being recently. They used to be a cheeky Scottish band with really upbeat and catchy music. Now they tend to do one or the other - the lyrics or the music, rarely mixing their immature yet superior old style. This is definitely a good track, and I feel it's as good as The Fratellis are going to be now, which sucks because they were one of my favourite British bands not so long ago.

Here's the song if you want to hear it!

If you missed #95 go here.

For the latest updates on my work, including all my latest radio shows, follow me on Facebook and Twitter here!

No comments:

Post a Comment