Sunday, June 07, 2015

My Top 100 Favourite Music Videos: #6

#6 "Thriller" - Michael Jackson
Release Date: 1983
Director: John Landis
Fun Fact: The director John Landis, also directed An American Werewolf in London which was an obvious inspiration for the video!
Oh come on, you knew this video was going to be featured right?

And if you have a problem with that then that's quite sad. It's truly one of the best music videos, if not THE best music video ever created. That's me being unbiased. Me seeing this video might be the best doesn't mean it's my favourite. But it's still an incredible piece of work that I absolutely love.

I'd like to emphasise, that I don't think the song "Thriller" is that great. I usually "skip" the song when it come on my media player. I also don't think the shortened version of this video does it any justice. For me, you have to watch the 14 minute version. It's the only way.

And that fourteen minute version is beyond epic. I love the werewolf transformation at the beginning, and of course, I love how Michael Jackson eating popcorn has spawned an internet meme, and the zombies look absolutely fantastic. But of course, as you'd expect, the Thriller dance is just... truly magnificent. You end up watching all of it and you just can't take your eyes off it.

"Thriller", predictable or not, is one of my favourite music videos of all time.

Note: This is the first and last video from the year 1983 in this list.
Here is the video for your enjoyment!

Click here to see #5 on the list or here for #7!

No comments:

Post a Comment