Thursday, June 11, 2015

My Top 100 Favourite Music Videos: #2

#2: "Take on Me" - A-ha
Release Date: 1985
Director: Steve Barron
Fun Fact: "Kim's Cafe" is on Wandsworth Road in London and is still kicking about but under a new name - it's now called "Savoy's Cafe"!
This is the second video directed by Steve Barron on my list - the second one was "Underground" by David Bowie which got to #18!

You may be surprised with my second placed video in the list. I like my rock and metal so a synth pop track like this seems a little out of place to be honest. And in fairness, it's not a song I'm that fussed about.

But as a music video, it's just brilliant. There's no denying how good this video is, how I felt about it watching it as a kid and even to this day, watching it now. I just absolutely love it. The art direction is just impeccable, the drawings look fantastic and in fairness the video looks just as good then as it possibly could now... apart from the 1980's fashion of course! This has won numerous "best music video of all time" lists in the past and it truly deserves all the attention it got, and has continued to receive over the past thirty years.

Also, I can't talk about this video and not mention the fantastic parodies done by Family Guy and Weebl and Bob!!
Note: This is the second and last video from the year 1985 in this list.

Here is the video for your enjoyment!

Click here to see #1 on the list or here for #3!

No comments:

Post a Comment